Friday, July 17, 2009

A better way to job search

My typical habit until recently was to go to monster.com, enter a few combinations of keywords with my locale, find some results, apply where applicable. Next, go to careerbuilder.com enter the same stuff, get slightly different results, apply if necessary, then go to craigslist for more disappointment and near misses or jobs I already applied for.

Then I discovered indeed.com This site provides a google-like scan of all the sites for jobs in my area. It's proven itself very accurate in delivering job leads that may have not been found in other sites.

Additionally indeed.com has an advanced search capability which lets me exclude words like Microsoft's "ASP" since I work primarily in Open source "PHP" and those worlds are somewhat opposite.

The site also offers relevant "salary information," which other sites seem to do poorly, after a lot of ads and vague links. In my opinion, the salary information is more relevant to technology jobs than even my state's labor statistics, because the state's site is clear when categorizing my job category. "Web Developer" is not anywhere to be found on the state sites. I have a feeling the categories were defined in the 1980s. And not parsed finely enough for all the genres the age of new media has provided. But indeed.com provides a very nice parsing of salaries down to the region.

Advanced features are found on other sites, including distance, age, not from recuriter, and the ability to include a specific title. If you sign up to become a member, you can block jobs, and set up search agents.

indeed.com is a useful job search site which culs all the jobs from most major job sites. Until those sites figure out how to block this search engine, searching for jobs will remain much easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment